Truck Driver Error Cause a Wreck?
Houston 18 Wheeler Accident Attorney Explains Trucking Company Liability
Houston 18 wheeler accident attorney Phillip Brantley has been successfully helping truck accident victims and their families hold truckers and trucking companies accountable for negligence in Texas since 1989.
If a truck driver makes a mistake, it can mean disaster for everyone he or she is sharing the road with at that moment. In many cases, truck driver errors lead to other drivers and their passengers suffering catastrophic injuries and even losing their lives as a result. One would hope that in the wake of such a tragic event, everyone involved would be focused on seeing that the victims receive all the help they need medically and financially. However, all too often in these cases, trucking companies and their insurers are more concerned with ensuring their bottom line is protected, even at the expense of victims and their families.
Phillip Brantley & Associates, P.C. offers free consultations with no obligation to hire us. Attorney Brantley will answer your questions and explain everything you need to know to make a decision that is in your and your family’s best interests. Do not wait to call us. The trucking company’s insurer and lawyers are working non-stop to discredit you. You need someone fighting on your behalf. In addition, every second you wait, evidence crucial to your case could be lost and time limits to file a truck accident lawsuit could be running out.
Truck Driver Accident Statistics
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has released truck accident statistics, which show just how much of a danger reckless truckers can pose to those they share the road with, including:
- In fatal 18 wheeler crashes, drivers and passengers in smaller vehicles are the victims most of the time.
- Approximately 10 percent of highway fatalities are the result of tractor-trailer truck wrecks.
- Of the 3,660 people killed in 18 wheeler accidents in the US in 2014, 68 percent were in cars, smaller trucks and other types of passenger vehicles.
Types of Truck Driver Errors
While trucking accident statistics reveal the extreme danger of truck wrecks, the numbers do not always show the type of mistakes truckers are making to cause 18 wheeler crashes. The most common trucking mistakes include the following:
- Speeding or driving too fast for the conditions, such as ice or rain
- Depowering the tractor-trailer’s front brakes and instead, relying on downshifting and the truck’s trailer’s brakes to slowdown or stop the vehicle
- Driver fatigue
- Rounding a curve too quickly, leading to a rollover accident
- Failing to look for vehicles in the truck’s blind spots
- Failing to properly maintain the vehicle
- Overloading the truck beyond the maximum capacity
- Driving while under the influence of over-the-counter or prescription medication, alcohol or illegal drugs
No Cost to Speak to a Houston 18 Wheeler Accident Attorney. Se Habla Español!
By the time the police reach the accident scene, trucking companies and their insurers will already have experienced legal representation protecting their rights. Truck accident victims and their families need the same. Even if you are not sure you have grounds for a lawsuit or that you would sue if you did have a valid claim, you still need to know what your legal rights are and what options are available to you. It is the only way you can make an informed decision about what is best for your future.
To learn more about truck accidents and how a lawsuit may be able to help you, give us a call or fill out our online contact form to set up a free consultation with Houston 18 wheeler accident attorney Phillip Brantley today.