What to Do After a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Houston Brain Injury Lawyer Explains Rights of Victims in Head Injury Claims
At Phillip Brantley & Associates, P.C., we have seen traumatic brain injuries (TBI) completely alter the lives of victims and their families. Houston brain injury lawyer Phillip Brantley is dedicated to helping people affected by TBI defend their rights and hold those at fault accountable. TBIs are catastrophic injuries that will impose serious emotional and financial difficulties for victims, including:
- Falling into debt due to massive medical expenses
- Inability to continue working for living due to the injury
- Not being able to live independently, and instead having to have a caregiver at home or reside in a long-term care facility
- Losing a loved one due to a fatal brain injury
Phillip Brantley & Associates, P.C. has been a fixture in Houston since 1989. Attorney Brantley has been fighting for TBI victims and their families in Texas and nationwide for nearly three decades. He has successfully taken on negligent individuals, businesses, healthcare corporations, insurance companies and high-priced legal teams, both at the negotiating table and in the courtroom.
You can talk to Attorney Brantley about your situation for free and without any obligation. He will answer all your questions and tell you everything you need to know about your legal rights and options, so that you can make a decision that is in your and your family’s best interests. Call him now. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. In addition, the longer you wait to call, the better the chance that evidence crucial to your case could be lost or deadlines to file a brain injury lawsuit could run out. Make the call. Se habla español.
What are Traumatic Brain Injury Symptoms?
Traumatic brain injury symptoms include:
- Suffering a complete change in personality and mannerisms, including dramatic mood swings
- Severe memory loss and an inability to concentrate
- Headaches, including migraines
- Issues sleeping
- Inability to control emotions, leading to combativeness and other out-of-character behavior
- Severe depression and/or anxiety
- Vision impairment, including sensitivity to light and blurred vision
- Hearing impairment, including, sensitivity to sound and ringing in ears
- Drastic changes to sense of taste and smell
- Slurred speech
- Confusion and disorientation
What are the Types of Brain Injuries?
There are multiple types and levels of traumatic brain injury:
- Concussion – This injury usually results from a blow to the head, whiplash or the head being violently shaken.
- Contusion – This type of injury is generally the result of a direct blow to the head that leads to bruising and bleeding on the brain.
- Coup-Contrecoup – This is a contusion that includes a bruise/bleeding on the brain where the blow to the head occurred and another bruise/bleeding on the opposite side of the brain as well.
- Diffuse Axonal – This injury is a tearing of nerve tissues throughout the brain that occurs due to the strong rotation or shaking of the head. An example would be Shaken Baby Syndrome. Diffuse Axonal can lead to a coma, temporary or permanent brain damage or even death.
- Penetration – This injury involves a sharp object, such as a knife or bullet, penetrating the skull and forcing fragments from the object, bone, skin and hair into the brain.
What Can a Person Receive in a Brain Injury Lawsuit?
Generally, the compensation that victims receive as the result of a favorable brain injury lawsuit verdict or settlement is used to cover the following:
- Loss of income because the victim can no longer work due to his or her injury or a family’s breadwinner dies as a result of his or her injury
- Mental and emotional anguish
- Hospital bills
- Modifications to home and cars to make them more accessible for the injury victim
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy expenses
- Costs for long-term care at home or in a nursing home
The process of pursuing damages for a brain injury through a civil lawsuit can be a complicated and lengthy process. The most important step for victims and their families is often just finding an experienced brain injury attorney with a history of returning favorable verdicts and settlements for his or her clients. Once you have found the right attorney, he or she will guide you through the rest of the process of holding those at fault for your pain and suffering, which most likely include expert witness testimony regarding the following:
- How much the brain injury will cost the victim and his or her family in medical and other expenses over a lifetime
- Detailed reconstruction of the incident that led to the brain injury and how negligence could have been the cause
- Description of the neurological nature of the brain injury and its symptoms as well as what day-to-day life is like for the victim as a result of the brain injury
Free Consultation with a Houston Brain Injury Lawyer. Se Habla Español!
To find out more about the legal rights and options available to traumatic brain injury victims and their families, schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with experienced Houston brain injury lawyer Phillip Brantley today. Se habla español.